Monday, June 11, 2012

Sparrows at Springtime

What a delight it has been this spring to observe a little family of birds, nestled in the geraniums in the window box just outside our kitchen window.


I marvel at the complexity and precision of God’s design in these little birds. The more I learn about nature, the more in awe I become of God’s immense power and detailed attention manifest throughout His creation. How do the father and mother bird know what size to make their nest—something small enough to provide warmth for the eggs, but big enough to hold four rapidly-growing young? Amazing how fast those tiny babies grow! In a matter of days, they transform from eggs to scrawny fuzz balls to full-size feathered birds ready to fly on their own. I took this picture on June 3, just two days before the young birds left the nest. 

I miss peeking at them through the geranium leaves, since they flew away last week. Watching them grow over the course of the past few weeks daily encouraged my faith. This spring I needed their tangible reminder of God’s precise design and intricate care in my own life. Luke 12:6-7 puts it well. “Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment