Tuesday, May 24, 2011

His Eye is on the Sparrow

 “His Eye is on the sparrow/and I know He watches me.” Do you ever have days that make you extra aware that God is watching you, taking care of you? Yesterday was one such day for me. =)

Yesterday morning before I left home to drive to Indy for the week, an unexpected letter of congratulations came in the mail, regarding an excellent score I had earned on one of the licensure exams that I had taken earlier this month. Thank You, Lord, for that timely encouragement. You know how much the affirmation meant to me—an extra confirmation that You are causing me to flourish where You have planted me for this season of life.

Several hours later while I was driving on the highway, my brother called and we had a nice chat. I knew that the exit ramp I was supposed to be looking for was approaching sometime soon, but while we were talking I neglected to pay close attention to the road signs. The moment we hung up, I noticed the last of the three signs for that exit. The exit was right there! Talk about precise timing! In my carelessness, I had missed the first two signs—which I knew to be looking for—and at the very minute I needed to turn onto the exit ramp, God opened my eyes so I could continue on my trip without getting lost or having to back-track. Thank You, Lord, that You know the way You have laid out for me, and You guide me in it.

Once I got to Indy, I ran an errand to Michaels. It was raining hard when I pulled into the parking lot. After getting out of the car and starting to dash across the parking lot into the store, I noticed the windshield wipers were still going. How odd; what would cause that, I wondered. . . . well, come to find out I had unintentionally neglected to take the key out of the ignition. Oh no! My heart sank, as I stood there beside the car door, in the gusty wind and pouring rain. Had I just locked myself out of the car?! Those windshield wipers were taunting me now. To my great relief, I saw that the driver’s door was unlocked, even though I had locked the car. I learned something valuable just then: the driver’s door won’t lock if the key is still in the ignition. Phew, I sure am glad that the auto designers thought to compensate for blonde moments! Moreover, I am grateful for yet another reminder that “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”

* * *
I wrote the above post early this morning. Now at the end of the day, I am especially grateful for those little reminders that I have a good, wise, and loving God, who is in control. Days like yesterday help me keep perspective for days like today. This season of life for me is a series of constant battles of frustration versus victory. It seems that I keep encountering challenge after challenge in my quest for my master’s degree and licensure. Sometimes I get so exasperated on this journey. Simultaneously, however, I can also point out many of God’s blessings that He is making abundant in my life these days, as evidenced by yesterday’s happenings. Today I experienced another two considerable obstacles. . . . What do you do when you’ve prayed about something and then given it your best, only to feel utterly inadequate about it? Give it to Him. What do you do a few hours later when you find out that a significant part of your plan for the upcoming school year is unraveling? Give that to Him too. “The LORD will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever,” I’m learning to declare along with the Psalmist (Psalm 138:8).

OK, Lord. Your eye is on the sparrow, and my life is in Your hands. I’m looking forward to seeing how You will perfect [complete, perform, fulfill] these situations in a way that showcases Your mercy in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment