- an already-made angel food cake, from the bakery section of the grocery store
- tub of whipped topping
- several strawberries, pureed
- Stir the pureed strawberries into the whipped topping.
- Slice the cake into three layers.
- Frost the bottom layer with the whipped topping; add the middle layer. Frost the middle layer; add the top layer. Frost the top and sides.
I got this idea years ago from an old family friend. As I recall, she frosted her cake with crushed pineapple, rather than strawberries, folded into the whipped topping. I especially like this frosting because it’s great for those who aren’t confident in their cake-decorating abilities. The fluffy whipped topping is very easy to spread. The added fruit lends a chunky texture, which camouflages a less-than-perfect icing job. Yay for a delightful dessert that requires beginner skill and only a few minutes of time!