Sunday, May 8, 2011

Shortcut Strawberry Angel Food Cake

I admire people who love to bake impressive desserts from scratch. However, I am not one of them. Sign me up for something quick and easy, please. I am for a dessert that looks lovely, tastes delicious, but doesn’t require a lot of skill, time, or effort.  For our Mother’s Day dinner this afternoon, I decided to make a strawberry angel food cake. This delicious and lovely cake is about as hassle-free as it gets.

Ingredients:
  • an already-made angel food cake, from the bakery section of the grocery store
  • tub of whipped topping
  • several strawberries, pureed
  1. Stir the pureed strawberries into the whipped topping.
  2. Slice the cake into three layers.
  3. Frost the bottom layer with the whipped topping; add the middle layer. Frost the middle layer; add the top layer. Frost the top and sides.
  4. Enjoy!

I got this idea years ago from an old family friend. As I recall, she frosted her cake with crushed pineapple, rather than strawberries, folded into the whipped topping. I especially like this frosting because it’s great for those who aren’t confident in their cake-decorating abilities. The fluffy whipped topping is very easy to spread. The added fruit lends a chunky texture, which camouflages a less-than-perfect icing job. Yay for a delightful dessert that requires beginner skill and only a few minutes of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment