Friday, September 2, 2011

Knock, Knock? Who's There?


Ask. Seek. Knock. My first conscious waking thought this morning directed me to Matthew 7:7—“Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and the door shall be opened to you.” 

Eyes still closed, laying in bed, I pondered those action verbs with their accompanying promises.

Ask. “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it” (John 14:13-14).

Seek. “When You said, ‘Seek My face,’ my heart said to You, ‘Your face LORD, I will seek’” (Psalm 27:8).

Knock. . . . umm. . .
            Remembering that Christ describes Himself as the Door (John 10), I decided to do a little word study for my morning devotions. . . I was interested to note that searching the word “door” in the NKJV yielded 163 results. While many of these references are specific building instructions for the tabernacle, numerous references are included in the stories of favorite Bible heroes. Evidently, “door” is an important concept in Scripture. Having recently faced a significant “closed door” in my own life, I am especially fascinated by the “door” theme. Starting chronologically,
  • God provided a door for Noah and his family to enter the ark (Gen. 6-7). . . .
  • He met Abraham at the door of his tent (Gen. 18). . . .
  • He protected Lot, pulling him inside his door (Gen. 19). . . .
  • He passed over the doors of the Israelites, who had spread blood over the doorposts (The first Passover, Ex. 12). . . .
  • He rolled the door away—the stone entrance to His garden tomb (Matt. 28). . . . 
  • He went through a door to meet His disciples after His resurrection (John 20). . . .
  • He opened the prison doors to free Peter (Acts 12). . .
  • He knocks at our door, desiring to fellowship with us (Rev. 3:8). 
Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
The Door. “See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name” (Rev. 3:8). He is the Door Who meets us; the Door Who protects us; the Door Who rolls away doors, Who walks through locked doors, Who opens guarded doors. “Knock, and the door shall be opened to you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment