Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Quote Garden: Faith


My favorite quotations about faith . . . 

Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them. (Elisabeth Elliot)

Hope prevents us from clinging to what we have and frees us to move away from a safe place and enter unknown and fearful territory. (Henri J. M. Nouwen)

Lean upon His Words, and rest in the hope that He will confirm that which He has wrought in you so far. (Francois de Salignac de la Moth Fenelon)

Faith is to believe what we do not see, and the reward of this faith is to see what we believe. (St. Augustine)

Faith is seeing the pattern of God’s character in my life and expecting Him to continue it in my present circumstances. (Cameron Houser)

When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take that step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe one of two things will happen: there will be something solid for us to stand on, or God will teach us to fly. (unknown)

Today is not going to be the first day that God lets me down.

I find no secure place for my soul except in You, and I pray that what is scattered in me may be brought together, so that no part may be separate from You. (St. Augustine)

In everything by prayer . . . (Apostle Paul)

I’ve learned that my strength is not found in how intensely I struggle . . . but in how completely I surrender. (Ken Gire)

Life works better when we learn to glance at things and gaze at God. (Selwyn Hughes)

LORD, Help me be who you created me to be, because I see You as You are. (Kristina Kroon)

See life as Christ sees it.

Fretting magnifies the problem, but prayer magnifies God. (Joanna Weaver)

Jesus knew the answer to greater needs is greater prayer, not harder work. (Lauren Bell)

God has my address and phone number. (Rebecca Sauer)

When God is about to do something great, He starts out with a difficulty. When He is about to do something truly magnificent, He starts with an impossibility. (Armin Gosswein)

The very essence of the Christian faith is to say Jesus is good enough and I am in Him. (Martyn Lloyd-Jones)

I can choose to have my best, or I can choose to have God’s best. (unknown)

Treat God like He is real and that His promises are true. (unknown)

See fears and anxieties as God’s tap on my shoulder to seek His face. (Bill Thrasher)

My potential for success is directly proportional to my willingness to let God work in my life. (unknown)

Don’t seek after ministry, but anticipate the fruit of a disciplined life.  (John Wesley)


What God commands us to do He enables us to do. (Bill Gothard)

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. (Corrie ten Boom)


As your faith is strengthened you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit. (Emmanuel Teney)

Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith. (Henry Ward Beecher)

Faith has to do with things that are not seen and hope with things that are not at hand. (Thomas Aquinas)

Faith indeed tells what the senses do not tell, but not the contrary of what they see. It is above them and not contrary to them. (Blaise Pascal)

As your faith is strengthened you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit. (Emmanuel Teney)

Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. (Khalil Gibran)

Faith is a passionate intuition. (William Wordsworth)

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation. (D. Elton Trueblood)

Faith is spiritualized imagination. (Henry Ward Beecher)

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
(Saint Augustine)

Faith is like radar that sees through the fog.  (Corrie Ten Boom)

Fear knocked at the door.  Faith answered.  And lo, no one was there. (unknown)

He who has faith has... an inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness, and assuring trust that all will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly.  (B.C. Forbes)

Faith makes things possible, not easy. (unknown)

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don’t.  (Blaise Pascal)

Faith enables persons to be persons because it lets God be God.  (Carter Lindberg)

A little faith will bring your soul to heaven, but a lot of faith will bring heaven to your soul. (unknown)

Faith is believing that the outcome will be what it should be, no matter what it is.  (Colette Baron-Reid)

Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel. (unknown)

Faith makes the discords of the present the harmonies of the future.  (Robert Collyer)

Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.  (unknown)

Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse. (Philip Yancy)

Faith is the deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time. (Oswald Chambers)

---
* The above quotations were collected from various sources. I have done my best to quote and credit them correctly. Please inform me if you notice an error.

No comments:

Post a Comment