Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today is Thankful Thursday #17! I hope everyone had as happy a Valentine's Day on Tuesday as I did. In fact, that's what I'm especially thankful for this week.
  1. I'm thankful that I can choose happiness. It's all too natural as a single to bemoan singleness anytime of the year, and all the more during the Valentine season. But choosing to embrace where God has me in life right now--choosing to live fully where He has me--I find so much to enjoy in this holiday.
  2. I'm thankful to celebrate the festive occasion with my third graders. What fun! Our class party was an exuberant, time celebrating friendship and God's love. How could I help but chuckle receiving all the cheesy, cartoon-y valentines from the kiddos?!
  3. I'm thankful to be part of a loving nuclear family. How special that together we can celebrate God's love and faithfulness--everyday.
  4. I'm thankful for the lovely candlelight Valentine's Dinner we enjoyed as a family. Originally, we were looking forward to going out to eat, but at the last minute Peter found out he had to work late. So, we decided to get Chinese take-out instead. The parents of one of Mom's piano students who own a Chinese restaurant, graciously treated us to our dinner. Their spontaneous gift made our holiday meal all that more special.
  5. I'm thankful that this evening after dinner I had a chance to work on preparations for my upcoming Mother-Daughter Valentine tea party. Over the years I've found that directing my focus off my single self, by preparing something special for others is one of the best defenses against depression on a day that many grumble as "Single Awareness Day."
Wow, so many blessings and so many happy memories from my 2012 Valentine's Day. I've always loved celebrating Valentine's Day, but I think this year's was one of my all-time favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment