Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Quote Garden: Contentment

My favorite quotations about contentment . . .



You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can  rejoice because thorns have roses. (Ziggy)

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections. (Unknown)

God’s will is often not so much doing glamorous things for Him but rather doing the ordinary things of everyday life in Him. He is honored when, empowered by His Spirit, we are faithful to do with excellence and joy that which He calls us to do—however mundane or insignificant it may seem. (Unknown)

Know, accept, be, who you are...everyone else is taken. (Dewey Novotny)

The very essence of the Christian faith is to say Jesus is good enough and I am in Him. (Martyn Lloyd-Jones)

Whatever a soul desires can be found in Christ. (Unknown)

Lord God, I so often try to persuade You that my plans and hopes are in my best interests and then ask You to bless them. But when I really think about it, how can I know what is really best for me? I can only judge by appearances, but You look ahead to the outcomes. Only You see and hold the future, and I want to confess that only You know what is truly best for me. Grant that I would become increasingly willing to let loose of my fond aspirations and embrace what You know is really in my best interests. I know I will have to wrestle with this all my life, because I often struggle with what You bring into my life and tell me to do. It is only when I embrace Your goodness and wisdom that I can stop wrestling with Your good plans and purposes. (Ken Boa)

They say a successful man is someone who will never let his wife find her wallet empty. But I say a true successful man is someone who marries a lady who will save, be frugal, and be smart with the money she finds in her wallet. (Sarah Tyau)

Disappointment is really a meter by which we may measure our hearts, and as with any measurement of the heart, we find we are sorely lacking. But when we bring our empty hearts to God and ask him . . . fill us wholly and completely with Him, we find our hearts so full . . . that we cannot possibly contain the joy. Disappointment has truly fled and trust has filled so that peace and gladness overflow. (Unknown)

Getting more done doesn’t ensure that you will be happier; it just means that you get more done. (Lee Silber)

“Happiness is not a destination. It is the attitude with which you choose to travel.” Arit Desal
Do not let trifles disturb your tranquility of mind . . . Life is too precious to be sacrificed for the nonessential and transient. (Grenville Kleiser)

My God lives, and He has my heart. (Mrs. Jonathan Edwards)

To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are. (Unknown)

Human desire is to be brought under the Lordship of Christ for fulfillment to His wisdom and choosing. (Elisabeth Elliot)

God wants to build faith—not stress—through situations. (M.Bearden)

Overcome the enemy by refusing to complain. (Unknown)

Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss going too fast—you also miss the sense of where you are going and why. (Eddie Cantor)

The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything. (Unknown)

I really do believe that every experience, if offered to Jesus, is our gateway to joy. (Elisabeth Elliot)

We ought to thank God for whatever stage of life we find ourselves in. (Elisabeth Elliot)

If I am not satisfied with what I have, I will never be satisfied with what I want. (Ralph Guthrie)

Next to faith, this is the highest art: to be content in the calling in which God has placed you. (Martin Luther)

Discontentment makes rich men poor, while contentment makes poor men rich. (Benjamin Franklin)

---
* The above quotations were collected from various sources. I have done my best to quote and credit them correctly. Please inform me if you notice an error.

No comments:

Post a Comment