Sunday, March 11, 2012

First Crocuses

Yesterday I spied my first crocuses blooming, here in Midland. Oh, I love crocuses! Splashes of vibrant color against the drab grays and browns of lifeless winter. Soldiers braving the lingering snow, standing valiant in all types of weather. Symbols of spring and new life.

Crocuses are one of those first signs of spring that I eagerly wait to notice each year. To me, they illustrate a glimpse of the beautiful promise God gives in I Peter 5:10. "But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you." During winter when everything appears dead, when days are cold and nights are long, it's encouraging to know that this dreary season is only for a while. Before long, bright green sprouts. Yellow and purple burst forth, beginning the triumphant transformation.

In my own life, I'm eagerly waiting for crocuses, heralding a new season. In the meantime, though, I must trust the God of all grace. He knows what He is doing, even when I can't see it or make sense of it. As surely as the flowers bloom each spring after winter, He promises to bring me through my season of suffering, to perfect, establish, strengthen and settle me. He has called me to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, and He will do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment