Thursday, March 22, 2012

Rains


Wow, the air conditioning is unusually noisy, I thought, as I stepped out of the meeting room into the hallway. Or am I hearing heavy rain? Strolling down the hall toward the front entrance of the church, I couldn’t distinguish the source of the “white noise.” Nearing the door, I saw several girls dart inside, drenched.

A downpour! I got giddy with excitement.

This semester I’ve been attending a weekly women’s Bible study by Beth Moore, about the book of James. It’s been a rich and very meaningful study so far. I appreciate how Beth opens the Scriptures for us women. This evening we listened to her message on DVD, titled “Between the Rains,” based on James 5. “Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See [how] the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand” (vv. 7-8). Beth emphasized the theme of the rains, as well as that time between the rains. She explained that this recurring theme in Scripture is always tied to God’s faithfulness. She shared that the times between rains are part of the laws of harvest. In our own lives, like in the farmer’s field, when it’s dry and we don’t see anything happening, we need to be mindful that God hasn’t moved to other ground—He’s working underground. She quoted Hosea 6:3, which promises that as surely as the sun rises every morning, our rains will come.


Having been living “between the rains” for a long time now, I was deeply encouraged by Beth’s insightful message. And then to have the message validated by such a timely rainstorm at the end of the study. Wow!


Yes, Lord. You are faithful. My rains are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment