Sunday, August 7, 2011

Queen Anne's Lace

Queen Anne's Lace has always been one of my favorite flowers. Maybe because one of my first childhood memories of learning about plants involved going on a nature hike at summer day camp and getting to pick a stem of Queen Anne's Lace. Or maybe because it grows wild all summer in the waysides, clothing untamed places in delicate beauty.

Queen Anne's Lace—I love how a common weed possesses a regal name. What's the difference between a weed and a flower, anyway? Isn't it in our perception? Certainly not in God's perfect design.




















Last summer I loved picking the wildflowers that grew along the edges of the campus where I lived. A friend let me also pick the zinneas that he had planted. Over the course of the summer I had so much fun arranging dozens of vases of these flowers, both for myself and to give away to others. In many ways those arrangements became a metaphor for what I saw God doing in my own life. God assembles both the "flowers" that I plant and tend (i.e., my goals and plans) with the "flowers" that grow wild by the wayside (i.e., situations and circumstances that I didn't intend) to design my life as a beautiful arrangement.


No comments:

Post a Comment