Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer Rainbows


One of my favorite things about summertime is our after-dinner, family bike-rides. This evening as we were finishing our outdoor dinner on the deck, we could hear the faint rumbles of thunderclouds rolling in. The sky didn’t look menacing as we felt the first sprinkles. Should we still try to get a quick ride before sunset, despite the coming rain? The four of us took a vote. Unanimous—let’s go for it! Riding around our neighborhood, we did get somewhat wet. But after a few minutes the rain cleared, and for the rest of the ride we enjoyed a gorgeous view of the vibrant sunset. We even saw a rainbow!

Tonight’s rainbow reminded me of the previous rainbow I saw, which was at the beginning of the summer, in June, when I was visiting friends at Virginia Beach. That evening, shortly before sunset, we were playing Frisbee on the shore as the rain clouds rolled in over the water. The panorama of the sky was spectacular. Seeing the edge of the rain clouds to the right expanse, the clear sky to the left, the pink glow of the setting sun illuminating the water, and a rainbow in the midst of it all, took my breath away.

As summer 2011 quickly draws to a close, I think I will look back on this time and define it by these two rainbows. These rainbows bookend a season in which I have been fervently seeking God’s direction for my life. I still feel that I am sorely lacking in perspective and insight. But I am reminded and encouraged, as rainbows have always symbolized, that “God is, and He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment